Short Term Consultancy - Strategic Plan for Ecotourism Kenya
The Consultancy will support EK in development of a five (5) year Strategic Plan by facilitating an in-depth organizational assessment, broad stakeholder consultations and critical analysis of the operating environment to identify key strategies and approaches to achieve them.
Scope of work:
- Conduct a review of the current/ ending Strategic Plan 2007 - 2011 and assess the best practices and lessons learnt;
- Analyze to what extent was it implemented / objectives achieved;
- Facilitate an in-depth organizational assessment, including holding meetings with EK Staff, Board of Directors (past and present) and key informants within the industry while analyzing previous organizational assessment program reports to identify the gaps and strategies in filling in the gaps;
- Suggest approaches to mainstream EKs activities and program areas with its members, the County Governments, Stakeholders and Development Partners;
- Analyze the previous resource mobilization plan, identify gaps and make recommendations;
- Make a presentation of findings and recommendations during a Board and staff Strategic Planning retreat.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Strategic Planning, preferably within a non Governmental context
- In depth knowledge of ecotourism/tourism and conservation issues in Kenya and within the Eastern Africa region.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills and knowledge in participatory methods and approaches.
- Knowledge of EK and its work is an added advantage.
Duration & Fees:
The Consultancy should be undertaken within a period of 25 days between 16th March and 9th April 2015. The fee for this assignment should not exceed Kshs. 250,000 (inclusive of government taxes). The organization shall provide logistical support as shall be agreed upon.
- Interested applicants should send a cover letter summarizing the relevant experience.
- Attach an updated and detailed Curriculum Vitae with full description of applicants details and experience, contacts of two (2) referees who are familiar with the applicant’s expertise and relevant work experience,
- Expected consultancy fee broken down to specifics.
- A detailed proposal and work plan on the assignment.
- Sample of developed Strategic Plan/s.
Note: The expression of interest should be accompanied by the following mandatory documents;
- Copies of PIN and/or VAT registration
- Copy of a valid tax compliance certificate
Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com not later than 12th March 2015.
Review of Strategic Plan 2007-2011
Strategic plan 2007-2011 Review report
Strategic planning retreat & Development of new Strategy
Organizational Assessment Report,
Draft Strategic Plan 2015-2019
Finalization & Validation
Strategic Plan 2015-2019
Ecotourism and Sustainable Tourism Forum 2015& AGM - 22nd - 23rd April 2015
Ecotourism Kenya will be hosting the 2015 Ecotourism & Sustainable Tourism Forum under the theme ‘Tourism Sustainability – It’s our Time to Lead’ on 22nd and 23rd April 2015 at AMREF Training Centre (Langata), Nairobi. Participants will be drawn from the Ecotourism fraternity, tourism industry players, government institutions, training institutions, conservation and environmental organizations, community based organizations and individuals.
The Ecotourism Forum seeks to build the capacity of tourism businesses in Kenya and individual professionals through training in standards and best practices for the promotion of sustainable tourism. The themed two day forums prime objective is to provide easy access for a wide range of stakeholders involved in ecotourism to exchange experiences and voice their comments. It is envisioned that a tour operator’s certification program and a CBTE standards framework might be two definite outcomes of the forum.
- To promote, develop and integrate ecotourism standards in tourism businesses and tourist product development in Kenya;
- To create a forum and network for exchanging ideas and information focused on promoting Kenya as a leading sustainable ecotourism destination
Delegates fee to participate:
Full conference fee for the two days - Kshs. 9,000
Ecotourism Kenya paid up Members - Kshs. 7,000
Day pass conference fee Kshs. 5,000
Exhibition Space for Green Products & Services: Kshs. 18,000
Early Bird Rate applies for bookings made and paid for before 30th March 2015
How to register:
To view forum program visit http://www.ecotourismkenya.org/conference/
For further information about the Forum, Exhibition and AGM, contact:
Anne Mwangi or Terryann Mutindi on firstname.lastname@example.org
2014 Eco-Warrior Awards: ResponsibleTourism is #WhyILoveKenya
Performances by the Bomas of Kenya dancers, over 40 prizes won at the raffle and eco-auction, the launch of the sustainability report by Sustainable Travel and Tourism Agenda … These were some of the highlights of the 8th Eco Warrior Awards, which took place at the Carnivore grounds on the evening of 9th October, 2014.
The colorful and vibrant awards ceremony dubbed "Kenya Night" was attended by over 600 guests, including over 180 hosted buyers who attended the Magical Kenya Travel Expo. The keynote speaker was Tourism Cabinet Secretary Phyllis Kandie, who presented the 14 Eco Warrior trophies to the following individuals and organizations ... Read more
For photos of the event, visit the Ecotourism Kenya Facebook page.
The Eco-rating Certification Scheme
The Eco-rating certification Scheme is a sustainable tourism certification program that aims to promote responsible tourism in Kenya. Launched in 2002 by Ecotourism Kenya in cooperation with tourism stakeholders in Kenya, the programs focus is to recognise best practices in environmental conservation, responsible resource use and socio-economic investment among tourism accommodation facilities by awarding qualified applicants assessed under the scheme with a Bronze, Silver or Gold eco-rating certification based on their performance.
The Eco-rating certification scheme follows a systematic procedure that assesses a tourism accommodation facility on its environmental, economic and socio-cultural performance. The criteria has been designed to suit local requirements and is aligned to the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria (GSTC) formed under the umbrella of the United Nations (UN). Through the Eco-rating certification scheme, Ecotourism Kenya aims to promote environmental, economic and social best practices by accommodation facilities within the tourism industry...Read the Eco-rating Certification Guide