Ecotourism Kenya is a civil society organization that promotes responsible tourism practices within the
tourism industry in Kenya. This entails encouraging the adoption of best practices in the use of tourism
resources, working with local communities, and managing wastes and emissions. The organization is
looking for a dedicated volunteer to serve as a Programs Assistant for a period of 6 months (February –
July 2017) under its Community Enterprise Development Program.
The Community Enterprise Development Program is one of the program areas of Ecotourism Kenya that
aims at promoting the development of community-based tourism enterprises in Kenya.
The Programs Assistant will provide programmatic and technical support in the Implementation of the
Program activities under the direct supervision of the Programs Officer.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist in the organization and coordination of community members activities (forums, dialogue
meetings at the community level in consultations with the community educators).
2. Engage the Community-based tourism enterprise members under different projects in constant
communication and updates;
3. Conduct desktop and field research task as directed from time to time;
4. Assist in preparing and compiling quarterly progress reports on the projects being implemented
and eventually preparing the final project reports.
5. Contribute to development of toolkits and provide inputs to needs assessment for the target
6. Assist in monitoring the implementation of projects, to ensure effective execution.
7. Document “success stories” and any other information to enhance the overall quality of
performance of both internal and external reports.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND PERSONALITY DESIRED:-
Minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university within the disciplines
of Tourism, Environmental Studies, Community Development or Project Management.
Professional experience in development work with a focus on rural community will be a desired
Good analytical and report writing skills as well as basic presentation and facilitation skills
Self-driven and able to deliver results with minimum supervision;
Willingness to interact effectively with community members and ability to learn new
Proficient in Ms Word, Excel, Power-point and the use of Internet for research.
Good communication and wring skills;.
Previous experience on project work will be an added advantage
Those who qualify and are interested should send an application letter, curriculum vitae (CV) providing
details of three referees (one of whom should be work related) and copies of relevant certificates &
testimonials to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com by 26th January
Selection of the successful applicant will be on a rolling basis and the position may be filled before the
application deadline elapses. Only potential applicants will be contacted.
The position will attract a minimal stipend.