Our Programme Areas | Achievements Of Our Programs
Ecotourism Kenya has five programme areas:
a) Enterprise Development Program
Entails offering community mobilization, advisory, training and promotion services to community based, owned and/or managed tourism enterprises. The aim is to integrate communities and community-based tourism into mainstream tourism in Kenya...Read More On Enterprise Development Program
b) Standards & Best Practices:
This is EK’s flagship program and is the only one of its kind in the East African region. This EK initiative has been used to inform other international tourism ecorating schemes including the UNEP Currently we have 86 eco-rated facilities– 23 Gold, 43 Silver and 20 Bronze.
The Eco-rating Certification is a systematic approach to evaluating a tourism accommodation facility on its environmental, economic and socio-cultural performance against set criteria. The evaluation is meant to recognise best practices in business practices, conservation, community and cultural performance among accommodation facilities and award qualifying applicants with a Bronze, Silver or Gold Eco-rating Certification.
- Bronze : This is the entry level to Eco-rating Certification, and it is awarded to facilities that demonstrate awareness of and commitment to environmental conservation, responsible resource use and socio-economic investment.
- Silver: Silver Eco-rating is an intermediary level in Eco-rating Certification that is awarded to facilities that demonstrate innovation - progress towards achieving excellence in environmental conservation, responsible resource use and socio-economic investment.
- Gold: Gold Eco-rating Certification is the highest level of Eco-rating certification that is awarded to facilities that demonstrate outstanding best practices i.e. they have achieved superior and replicable levels of excellence in responsible resource use, environmental conservation and socio-economic investment.
Read More on Standards & Best Practices
c) Awareness Creation & Information Sharing:
This is achieved through publications and meetings, including quarterly newsletters, monthly e-letters, regional workshops and a biennial national conference. It is also achieved through the website and the resource centre. Read More or View reports
d) Research & Consultancy:
The focus is on ecotourism and sustainable tourism, best practices, policy development and tourism planning and management. We also undertake social evaluation of programmes and review EIAs.
e) Leadership and Mentorship Program:
Provide EK members with an opportunity to gain experience nurture their skills and get enlightened about the fundamentals and practices of ecotourism. The program blends the academic and professional, theoretical and practical aspects of ecotourism while addressing the interests of participants... Read More
All these programs are geared towards benefiting our members and the tourism industry as a whole. Membership is open to all individuals, groups and organizations that promote sustainable tourism in Kenya. This include students, professionals, academic institutions, tourism and conservation organizations, government departments, tour operators, travel agents, hoteliers, etc.
There are three categories of membership:
Joining Ecotourism Kenya provides members with an opportunity to:
- Be part of a global movement committed to making tourism sustainable
- Access information that will empower you to plan your business r esponsibly
- Enhance your business profile through listing on our website
- Brand your products and services through the use of Ecotourism Kenya logo
- Get favourable service fees from Ecotourism Kenya and our partners