Ecotourism Kenya has released the winners list for the 14th edition of the Eco Warrior Award that recognizes innovation and leadership in responsible tourism. The winners consist of Kenyan tourism operators, accommodation facilities, community tourism enterprises, conservancies and individuals with initiatives that demonstrate a linkage and commitment to responsible tourism and that promotes the transition to a green economy.
Ecotourism Kenya members have been at the forefront of promoting a green economy through initiatives as energy efficiency, water efficiency and waste management including PET plastic bottles. This year, the Eco Warrior Award theme and dates coincided with the UNWTO World Tourism Day 2019 celebrations being held today, the 27th of September in New Delhi, India.
Winners in the 6 categories were announced on Thursday 26th September 2019 in a red carpet Gala Dinner hosted by Ecotourism Kenya and partners at the new-look Nairobi Serena. The Gala Dinner which was held yesterday on the eve of the World Tourism Day was graced by Hon. Najib Balala EGH Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Tourism & Wildlife and other key industry players.
1. 2019 Tourism and Green Jobs Eco Warrior – Sponsored by Kenya Utalii College – KUC
- Mugie Conservancy – Winner
- Peak East Africa – Runner- up
2. 2019 Social Impact Eco Warrior – Sponsored by Kenya Wildlife Trust – KWT
- Basecamp Explorer Kenya – Winner
- Gamewatchers Porini – Winner
- Lake Elementeita Serena Camp – Winner
- Ngare Ndare Forest Trust – Winner
- Amboseli Serena Lodge – 1st Runner- up
- Il Ngwesi Eco Lodge – 2nd Runner- up
3. 2019 Sustainable Tourism Change Makers – Sponsored by African Fund for Endangered Wildlife – AFEW Kenya
- David Marenya – Winner
- Rahmina Oyugi – Runner- up
- Kicheche Mara Camp – Winner
- Escapades – Kilima Camp – Runner- up
5. 2019 Green Tourism Champion in Tour Operations – Sponsored by Kenya Association of Tour Operators – KATO
- Sunworld Safaris – Winner
- Let’s Go Travel – Uniglobe – Winner
- Gamewatchers Safaris Ltd – Runner- up
- Twiga Tours and Travel – Runner- up
6. 2019 Green Tourism Champion in Minimization of Single Use Plastic – Sponsored by Tourism Fund – TF
- Kichwa Tembo – Winner
- Mara Bush Camp – Winner
- Safari Collection – Runner- up
- Angama Mara – Runner- up
Read more about the Eco Warrior Award here.