Community Development is one of the key focus areas of Ecotourism Kenya. The aim of the program is threefold:
1. To integrate host communities and community-based tourism (CBT) into mainstream tourism in Kenya
2. To build capacity for local people to more effectively engage with tourism issues
3. To explore improvement ideas and opportunities for tourism involvements within and beyond the destinations where the host communities exist
The ultimate goal is to promote equitable distribution of the benefits accruing from community-based tourism (CBT) activities i.e. initiatives, organizations, and/or enterprises. Our work involves:
· Community mobilization; participatory trainings, seminars, workshops, and sharing of information through the quarterly newsletter and monthly e-letter
· Community advisory services on product development, packaging, fundraising, etc.
· Promotion of community-based, owned, and/ or managed tourism activities.
The program offers tailor-made capacity-building services for community groups. These services include but are not limited to training, business planning, marketing, and promotional support to existing and potential Community-Based Tourism Activities. The main aim of the support is to integrate CBT activities into mainstream tourism in Kenya whilst seeing that they continue conserving the natural areas in which they operate.
Ecotourism Kenya perceives responsible tourism and its related activities not only as a tool for bringing social and economic benefits to the local community but also as a tool for promoting the conservation of biodiversity. The Community Development Program has successfully executed projects toward supporting CBT Activities in Kenya with notable achievements.