Ecotourism Kenya is keen on involving and engaging youth and women in the pursuit of advancing responsible tourism in Kenya. We aim to achieve this by holding skills and personal development, & sensitization and awareness on sustainability in tourism sessions, granting access to jobs in tourism, supporting women-led enterprises in responsible tourism practices.
THE LEADERSHIP AND MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
The Leadership and Mentorship Program(LMP) is a youth engagement space where we interact with students in their 3rd and 4th years of study in tourism, hospitality, environment, and related studies. We conduct awareness and information-sharing sessions. The trainees are sensitized on issues of sustainable and responsible tourism to build them as ambassadors of sustainability.
We offer skills training in 3-4 days and placement in different areas of work for approximately 3 months. Within the period of placement, the progress of the trainee is monitored. The host organizations, where the trainees are placed, are members and partners of Ecotourism Kenya(EK). The training areas are made to complement the knowledge the students have acquired in school and what the host organizations have identified as areas suitable for work placement.
Enrollment in the program acts as a starting point for the trainees’ tourism careers, hence it prepares them for a professional working environment.
Goals of the program
- Assist participants to understand, promote and advance the principles of responsible
- Provide opportunities for practical environmental and cultural experiences.
- Guide growth of sustainability ambassadors that potential employers and others can access when they have employment or recognition opportunities.
- Help participants develop good work ethics for integration into the workplace.
Benefits of the program include;
- Industry Exposure.
- Training opportunities on specific skills.
- Placement to host organizations.
- E-Certificate of completion.
- Job recommendation letter from the host organization.
- Gateway to being an EK member
- Learn more about responsible tourism in Kenya.
- Priority of jobs announcement is given to successful LMP trainees who are paid-up members.
The Program conducts training and placement in the periods;
-April to July
-July to September
The times are subject to change depending on when students are due to go for industry attachment.
The call for applications is announced on our Careers section and our social media platforms.
The requirements for application will be stated in the call for applications.
The cost for the program is Ksh. 3,000
For inquiries, reach out to email@example.com
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
- Who are the host organizations and where are they located?
The host organizations are mostly tourism organizations that are Ecotourism Kenya members or partners including tour operators, eco-rated facilities, and/or community-based tourism organizations spread out in the country.
- Are the trainees paid for their placement?
This depends on the host organization. However, it is not mandatory.
- Can recent graduates apply?
Recent graduates of 1 or 2 years of study completion are considered.
- Should a trainee be a resident of Nairobi in order to take part in the program?
No. However, the training takes place at Ecotourism Kenya offices. Accommodation for the trainee will be his/her own responsibility.
- Does an applicant pay the Ksh. 3000 fee as part of the application?
No. This charge is only payable after an applicant is successfully selected to participate in the program following a merit-based review process.
Ecotourism Kenya (EK) is committed to playing an active role in promoting empowerment of women in, by and through tourism. As such, EK strives to implement activities that contribute to the realization of the objectives entrenched on the SDG – Goal 5 which is committed to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
As a membership organization, EK ensures to engage women owned and/or managed tourism businesses among its members. The organization also ensure that its staffing policy prioritizes qualified women to not only acquire employment as general operation staff but also in the higher management of the association. In the quest to promote leadership and mentorship for transformation within the industry, the EK capacity building interventions have a great focus for engaging women.
Additionally, the organization constantly and consistently collaborates with peer organizations locally, regionally and internationally to nurture active women involvement in tourism focuses.