After 2 years of a steady recovery of the tourism industry, Ecotourism Kenya(EK) resumed the annual Ecowarrior Award now in its 15th Edition. The event is a Kenyan-born award hosted by Ecotourism Kenya that has been celebrated since 2005. The prestigious award is anchored on the desire to inspire the Kenyan Tourism industry towards responsible practices. The Ecowarrior Award returned this year with the theme: ‘Rethinking Tourism: Celebrating Changemakers’.
This year EK launched three exciting initiatives:
1. “Upscaling Sustainable Tourism in East Africa” funded by the GO4SDGs initiative of the UN Environment Programme which will develop mandatory national sustainable tourism certification standards, support the uptake of innovative private-sector financing mechanisms
and build capacity in small youth/women-led enterprises to participate in sustainable tourism industry value chains.
2. ‘Beyond the Trophy’ initiative, which will journey through one year with the winners and sponsors to highlight and promote their sustainable tourism practices.
3. The City Hotels Certification program supported by Tourism Fund and Green Tour Kenya (EU funded) will eco-certify facilities based in urban settings. The aim remains the promotion of innovative, authentic, and inclusive sustainable tourism businesses.
The dinner was hosted by Ecotourism Kenya at Radisson Blu Hotel, Upper hill on Thursday 27th October 2022, and was graced by Dr. Paula Kahumbu, Chief Executive Officer – Wildlife Direct as the Chief Guest. Ecotourism Kenya Board members, Ecotourism Kenya Members, Chairpersons of Tourism State Corporations, and CEOs and chairpersons from the private sector among other invited guests, dignitaries, and the tourism/conservation fraternity.
The winners of the 2022 Ecowarrior Award were recognized and celebrated for being changemakers in the industry, through their consistency, resilience, and innovation as demonstrated in their applications and as assessed by the judges led by the chief judge, Judy Kepher-Gona.
The following are the winners of the 2022 Ecowarrior Award
- Best Accommodation in Communities and Cultural Preservation– Basecamp Explorer Kenya which was sponsored and presented by East Africa Wildlife Society (EAWLS).
- Best Accommodation in Conservation through Establishment of Conservancies– Basecamp Explorer Kenya which was sponsored and presented by Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (KWCA).
- Best Accommodation in Collaboration with Impact Partners – Porini Amboseli Camp which was sponsored and presented by Tourism Fund (TF).
- Best Accommodation in Responding to COVID-19 Impacts – Governors Camp Collection which was sponsored and presented by Switch Africa Green/ GreenTour Project (GTK).
- Best Tour Operator in Promoting Community Development – Gamewatchers Safaris which was sponsored and presented by Kenya Association of Tour Operators (KATO).
- Best Accommodation in Support for Marine Conservation – Serena Beach Resort & Spa which was sponsored and presented by Conversation Alliance of Kenya (CAK).
- Best Community Tourism Initiative – IL Ngwesi Lodge which was sponsored and presented by Kenya Tourism Board (KTB).
1st Runner up in 4 categories
- Conservation through the establishment of Conservancies – Porini Mara Camp
- Collaboration with Impact Partners – Sanctuary Olonana
- Responding to COVID-19 Impacts – Mara Bush Camp
- Promoting Community Development – Kampur Travel Diaries
2nd Runner up in 2 categories
- Collaboration with Impact Partners – IL Ngwesi Lodge
- Promoting Community Development – Let’s Go Travel Uniglobe
Ecotourism Kenya appreciates and acknowledges the great work the tourism industry is doing for the economy and people of Kenya. This is because when we all pull together for conservation, communities, and tourism, everyone becomes a winner.
See the 2022 Eco Warrior Awards Winners’ Booklet here.
For more information about the Ecowarriors Awards and/or Ecotourism Kenya contact:
Chief Executive Officer, Ecotourism Kenya
PO Box 10146-00100 GPO, Nairobi Kenya
Mobile: +254 726 366 080