The Leadership and Mentorship Program (LMP) is a youth engagement initiative hosted by Ecotourism Kenya. The program aims to provide opportunities for practical skills development in sustainable tourism through training and internship placements across Kenya. By the completion of the internship, the mentees are well-positioned and equipped with knowledge of responsible tourism practices to nurture them as ambassadors of sustainability in the tourism industry.
Ecotourism Kenya offers skills enhancement training for 3-4 days and supports the participants to acquire placement in different areas of work. The training areas are tailor-made to complement the concepts acquired in school and identified current industry needs. The placement lasts approximately 3 months and is done in collaboration with various host organizations within the tourism industry. The host organizations comprise of members and partners of Ecotourism Kenya (EK). During the internship period, the progress of the participant will be monitored for continuous support and improvement.
Through this program we aim to;
- Furnish participants with the knowledge to understand, promote and advance the principles of responsible tourism, sustainability & conservation.
- Provide opportunities for practical work experience within the tourism industry.
- Develop critical thinking and good work ethics for the trainees to integrate into the workplace.
The program participation fee is Ksh. 3,000 which is payable after the successful applicants are contacted.
This program is for;
- Students in their 3rd and 4th years of study in tourism, hospitality, environment management, community development, and related courses.
- Graduates (graduation date not more than 3 years ago as of May 2023) in the tourism, hospitality community development, environmental management and related studies,
- Those willing to receive internship placement anywhere in Kenya.
To be considered for the program, kindly submit an application via email with listed attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading, ‘LMP 2023 MAY COHORT’.
- Updated Curriculum vitae. Name the document as ‘CV_Name’ e.g. CV_John Kamau
- Introduction letter from learning institutions (continuing undergraduate students). Name the document as ‘Introduction_Name’ e.g. Introduction_John Kamau
- Certificate of good conduct (graduates. Name the document as GoodConduct_Name e.g. GoodConduct_John Kamau
- Motivation letter, highlighting;-
- Reasons why you would like to take part in LMP (maximum 250 words)
- What value (skills, knowledge from school, teamwork, etc.) would you like to share with this LMP Cohort (maximum 250 words)
- What do you hope to learn from the program (maximum 250 words). Name the document as ‘Motivation_Name’ e.g. Motivation_JohnKamau
- OPEN CALL: 28.02.22
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: 28.03.23
- CONTACTING SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS: 18.04.23
- TRAINING DATES: 2.05.23- 5.05.23
- INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT DATES: MAY 2023 to JULY 2023
- Applicants will be required to sign placement contracts and indemnity forms.
- Internship placement does not guarantee retention as an employee of the host organization.
We are excited to have a motivated and eager group of participants join us!
We look forward to working together and providing a positive learning experience for all and deliver our mandate to champion responsible tourism in Kenya.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.